Thursday, August 26, 2010

Anarene, Texas, 1951...

"The Last Picture Show is a 1971 American drama film directed by Peter Bogdanovich, adapted from a semi-autobiographical 1966 novel of the same name by Larry McMurtry."

Click image to enlarge:
THE LAST PICTURE SHOW


This is a quick illustration I did for something Criterion is putting together. They've asked a few comics artists to do interpretative pieces based on a short list of movies.. As you'd expect most of the poster art that goes with this film is in keeping with it's small Texas ghost town aesthetic. But since I do a lot of stuff like that already I tried to come up with something that I felt was different still fit the tone and story of the film. Which lead me to this, one of my favorite scenes in the movie, and one that sort of gets at what I think is a real undercurrent of the movie...the treatment and POV of women in a 1950s Texas/America.

Anyway, it's a great scene and a great movie. A great, great movie. And it's got Jeff Bridges looking goofy, a young (hot) Cybill Shepard (whodda thunk?) and Randy freaking Quaid as one of those nekkid kids up there.




I'll be in Baltimore this weekend for BALTIMORE COMIC CON.



I'll have copies of Daredevil B&W, sketchbooks, postcard prints and will be doing a small number of con sketches. Small simply due to the fact that I'm over due on far to many as it is. But if you'd like to line one up in advance you can email me at jaslatour@gmail.com and we can hash things out. Or just look for me at seat 1710D.
So holler atcher boy.

More soon...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jason,

    Do you know if any of the All Tomorrow's Movie posters will be available for purchase? Keep up the great work!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete