Monday, January 17, 2011

RECOMMEND NATION

So unfortunately(?) the X-Factor piece is on hold for a bit as I've signed on for my next short Marvel gig (which is good news. Right?). This time I'll be collaborating with my buddy Cullen Bunn (The Damned, The Sixth Gun). Rico Renzi will also be back helping me tag team the colors. Chances are high this character is involved:

captest

As you can see it's just some prep work, an attempt to nail down an approach to color and that armor tunic thing he rocks. I've always kind of loved Cap, in part because at face value he's such a seemingly nonsensical character. He really works or fails based on the sum of little considerations. That's a real challenge, but when he does work I like him as much as any superhero around. So, fingers crossed.

Speaking of Cullen, the first collection of he and Brian Hurtt's THE SIXTH GUN is now out on shelves. I did the creator bio illustrations in the back, which are really just a couple of sprinkles on a delicious cake. If you're on the fence you can read the first issue here . It's a fun little genre bender. Reminds me of a good Sunday matinee movie.

While I'm recommending things, in a similar vein is Brahm Revel's book GUERILLAS. Brahm gave me a copy at NYCC and when I finally got around to reading it I was disappointed I hadn't done so sooner. It's soldier chimps for christ sakes! That said, for a book with a concept so seemingly broad it's really handled with a refreshing subtlety. I'm looking forward to more of it.

Anyway, due to the power of magic head phones i just realized that Tupac has a lot of sad trombone in his songs. So I'm off to explore that. More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment